I’m watching the online conference Preach Better Sermons today and wanted to share some of the learnings I picked up. One of the speakers is Darrin Patrick founded The Journey in 2002 in the urban core of St. Louis, Missouri. The Journey has six locations and has released seven church plants. Darrin is Vice President of the Acts 29 Church Planting Network (which Revolution Church is part of) and has helped start multiple non-profits in St. Louis. Darrin is the author of two books: Church Planter: The Man, The Message, The Mission and For the City.
Here are some things that jumped out from Darrin’s segment:
- The Journey rotates through Old Testament, New Testament and hot-button current topics. This keeps the sermons fresh.
- By moving around like this, it helps the church have a holistic view of Scripture.
- Teaching through books of the Bible you are forced to teach on everything.
- Take chunks of time to prepare during the summer for the rest of the year.
- We need to preach the gospel all the time, not just in one sermon.
- The gospel is this thing that is growing.
- The way we came to Christ is the way we stay in him.
- People have felt needs, but the gospel is the real need of every human being.
- Would your sermon work if Jesus didn’t rise from the dead?