This is a guest post from my wife Katie Reich based off of questions we often get about resources for connecting with your kids.
My life basically smells of dried catsup, loose leaf paper, and essential oils. When you have five kids, even doing “nothing” is busier than the average busy. Thankfully I love my kids and my life.
“Passionate and intentional adventure toward God” is a huge part of our family mission statement. To be honest, that isn’t always easy. With the life of a family of seven, just feeding, schooling, and refereeing can take up most of our day.
Finding resources that fit our family values and schedule is not always easy. About two years ago our church switched over to the Orange Curriculum.
It seemed like a good choice with some great handouts to encourage parent involvement and tools to help kids of all ages take their next step with God.
During that time I read “It’s Just a Phase” and dog-eared so many pages, all the while wishing there was a way to disseminate the information for each of my kids in an orderly and timely way without having to cross reference post-its, highlights and dog-eared pages. Well, Kristen Ivey and Reggie Joiner have done just that plus more in the “Parenting Your ….” guides.
These guides are road maps to helping take what you know about your child combined with others their age, while encouraging you/me to become a more thoughtful and engaged parent.
Do yourself a favor and buy it the week of your child’s birthday….
- if you don’t know what conversations to have with her.
- if each year you wish you knew your child better physically, socially, mentally and emotionally.
- if each year you want book, game and movie suggestions to create connections and a jumping point to help develop his emotional intelligence.
- if you need a reminder of how long you have until she turns 18 and it scares you just a little.
- if you want to create a plan to engage thoughtfully with him but don’t know where to start.
- if life is busy and you want to really notice her and help her to grow.
You can order your copies here.