- Summer family activity book from The Village Church. This is definitely worth downloading if you have a family.
- We are kicking off a brand new series this Saturday at Revolution Church called So You’re Dead…Now What? We’ll be exploring heaven, hell and the afterlife.
- Tony Morgan on the book Replenish.
- If you want to go to the next level in any area of your life, get a mentor. Here’s how to catch a mentor.
- Why you should read Christian biographies.
- If you have a child in Planet Rev, here is what they learned on Saturday night. If you aren’t following the Planet Rev blog, you need to do so.
- Scott Cochrane on 3 indicators you are developing the wrong person as a leader.
- The seduction of Pornography and Integrity of Christian Marriage.
- Jonathan Dodson on What to say when someone says “the bible has errors.”
- Can fidelity work in a movie?
- Brad Lomenick on Leadership lessons from playing point guard.
- 9 things pastors should know about how adults learn.
- Mark Driscoll on 6 ways sex is a gift.
- 9 keys to lasting in ministry. This is golden.
- Ron Edmondson on How to make your ideas better.
- 5 lessons small churches can learn from large churches.
- Jonathan Dodson on Getting through challenges to missional communities.
- 10 trends that will shape student ministries (and the larger church). This is a great list to consider.
- Voddie Baucham on The elephant room. I thought this was a helpful perspective.
- How to deal with anxiety as a leader.
- Rick Warren on Building a leadership structure for growth.
- 7 signs you are burning out and Finding relief from burnout.
- If Facebook tempts you. Some good thoughts here especially if you gave up Facebook for Lent.
- The leadership of the Apostle Paul.
- Scott Williams on Leadership is like riding a bike.
- Jonathan Dodson on Keeping missional communities healthy.
- Voddie Baucham on his new book “Family Shepherds.” Anything he writes on biblical manhood and womanhood is worth reading.
- Stream the new worship album from Austin City Life. So good.
- 12 signs someone is not a good leader.
- Relevant magazine on When revolutionaries grow up.
- Why the world is wrong about marriage.
- Tony Morgan on How leadership teams empower leaders.
On Saturday, I preached about our identity as missionaries. We often think of missionaries who go to another country or culture. The reality is that our world has now come to us. Being a missionary is something that every follower of Jesus is called to, it is not optional and it starts with your neighborhood, where you live. You live there for a larger purpose than that is where you bought a home.
Here is a list of 25 ways (thanks to Jonathan Dodson for compiling this) to engage your neighborhood with the gospel:
1. Stay outside in the front yard longer while watering the yard
2. Walk your dog regularly around the same time in your neighborhood
3. Sit on the front porch and letting kids play in the front yard
4. Pass out baked goods (fresh bread, cookies, brownies, etc.)
5. Invite neighbors over for dinner
6. Attend and participate in HOA functions
7. Attend the parties invited to by neighbors
8. Do a food drive or coat drive in winter and get neighbors involved
9. Have a game night (yard games outside, or board games inside)
10. Art swap night – bring out what you’re tired of and trade with neighbors
11. Grow a garden and give out extra produce to neighbors
12. Have an Easter egg hunt on your block and invite neighbors use their front yards
13. Start a weekly open meal night in your home
14. Do a summer BBQ every Friday night and invite others to contribute
15. Create a block/ street email and phone contact list for safety
16. Host a sports game watching party
17. Host a coffee and dessert night
18. Organize and host a ladies artistic creation night
19. Organize a tasting tour on your street (everyone sets up food and table on front porch)\
20. Host a movie night and discussion afterwards
21. Start a walking/running group in the neighborhood
22. Start hosting a play date weekly for other stay at home parents
23. Organize a carpool for your neighborhood to help save gas
24. Volunteer to coach a local little league sports team
25. Have a front yard ice cream party in the summer
- Jeff Vanderstelt on The elder qualification we often forget.
- Theology a hot issue in GOP race.
- Grace Driscoll on a Godly wife, woman, mother & friend.
- 6 characteristics of spiritual leadership.
- Mark Driscoll on Manhood and the fatherhood of God.
- Perry Noble on 10 signs you are near burnout.
- 30 ways to be missional in your workplace.
- Jonathan Dodson on 25 ways to engage your neighbors.
- Tim Keller on Salvation outside of Christ.
- Russell Moore takes on Pat Robertson. I thought Robertson was kidding when he said this, but Moore calls him to task on his statement about marriage and divorce.
- Chuck Swindoll on The most important thing.
- Charles Stone on 5 non-negotiable decisions every leader must make.
- 25 ways to be missional in your neighborhood.
- Mike Breen on How culture has corrupted the American church.
- Jonathan Dodson on Is Pluralism more tolerant than Christianity?
- Motherhood is application.
- Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO.
- Jared Wilson & Tony Merida on Preaching Today.
- One of the main reasons students leave church after high school is their faith reflects the faith they’ve seen growing up.
- Bill Hybels on Preparation matters.
- 6 trends in church staffing.
- Carl Trueman on Teaching your kids the trinity.
- Scott Williams on Most leadership stress is self induced.
- What the CNN religion blog learned in one year. Shows how prevalent religion and spirituality is in our culture, news stories and how passionate people are about it.
- Are you smarter than Anthony Weiner?
- Atheists and agnostics know more about the Bible than Christians. Sad.
- Jared Wilson on 3 musts for pastors that don’t get put in their job descriptions.
- Pete Wilson on Deeper preaching.
- Actually, that’s not in the Bible.
- Perry Noble on What a husband needs to understand about his wife. Read this, pass this on. So good. Here’s a great line from the article, “if having your wife “not leave you” is the only goal you have for your marriage then you officially suck as a husband.”
- 10 reasons why missional communities fail part 1 and part 2.
- Ben Reed on Lessons from preaching. This is a good picture into what the weekly role of preaching can do to a pastor.
- James MacDonald on Congregational government is from Satan. A strong title, but so true when it comes to what the Bible says.
- Jonathan Dodson on Is religious pluralism really tolerant.
- 4 ways to be the church for dummies. This is a high compliment for a church.
- How to not grow a healthy church.