Statistically, most Americans will make resolutions and goals in January and not keep them.
They will range from quitting smoking, losing weight, getting out of debt, changing jobs, and the list goes on and on.
Some years it might be the same thing because you are not as far along as you want.
What if you don’t do this?
You’ll be like most other people. You’ll get to the end of next year and look back longingly at what could’ve been.
Think for a minute. Let’s say your plan should be around getting healthy, getting out of debt or working on your marriage. What if you could move the needle just a little bit? What if next year, instead of $10,000 in debt it was $2,000 or none? What if your marriage took three baby steps in the next year? Wouldn’t thinking about this and being proactive be worth it?
If you’re still with me, here are some questions to help you think through a growth plan for the coming year:
- What do you want to change in your life?
- What things did you learn in the past year that you want to build on?
- What is one thing that, if you grew in it, would move you, your career, your relationships, further and faster?
- What book(s) of the Bible was convicting to you in the past year? What was most convicting and why?
- What area of your heart and past hurt have you put off dealing with?
- Who do you know that is further than you are in something that you can learn from?
Then ask those closest to you some of these questions. Yes, that is scary but so is living life and missing out because we didn’t grow and make changes.
The answers to these questions then help you to formulate a plan of what you will grow in for the coming year.
You can’t do it all.
When I lost 130 pounds in 18 months, that was my thing. I was solely focused on that and the heart issues surrounding that.
In other years, it has been preaching, prayer, adoption.
What I read, podcasts I listen to, blogs I follow, classes I take and people I talk to are around those ideas.
Make no mistake, the people who will get further in the coming year are the people who have decided what they will get further on. It will not just happen.